Secondary Metals Recycler Registration
This code section explains the following:
- A digital or video image will be required of the bulk load being sold, and of the face of the seller.
- A digital image of the seller or deliverer if such person is different from the seller.
- A detailed description of the Regulated Metal will be documented on the transaction receipt. (i.e. Copper or Steel).
- In the absence of a vehicle's tag number on the vehicle of the deliverer; the vehicle identification number (VIN) will be documented on the transaction receipt.
- The document is signed and a sworn affidavit.
- It shall be unlawful to make a false statement in executing the affidavit required when selling a motor vehicle (MV-1SP Cancellation of Title for Scrap Vehicles Form). Making of a false statement shall be punishable as an act of false swearing under O.C.G.A 16-10-71 (Additional Felony Charge).
(a) A secondary metals recycler shall maintain a legible record of all purchase transactions. Such record shall include the following information:
(1) The name and address of the secondary metals recycler;
(2) the date of the transaction;
(3) The weight, quantity, or volume and a description of the type of regulated metal property purchased in a purchase transaction. For purposed of this paragraph, the term 'type of regulated metal property' shall include a general physical description, such as wire, tubing, extrusions, or castings;
(4) A digital photograph or photographs or a digital video image or images of the regulated metal property which shows the regulated metal property in a reasonably clear manner;
(5) The amount of consideration given in a purchase transaction for the regulated metal property and a copy of the check or voucher or documentation evidencing the electronic funds transfer given as consideration for such purchase transaction;
(6) A signed and sworn affidavit from the seller stating that such person is the rightful owner of the regulated metal property or has been authorized to sell the regulated metal property being sold;
(7) A signed and sworn affidavit from the seller stating that he or she understands that: A secondary metals recycler is any person who is engaged, from a fixed location or otherwise, in the business in this state of paying compensation for regulated metal property that has served its original economic purpose, whether or not engaged in the business of performing the manufacturing process by which regulated metal property is converted into raw material products consisting of prepared grades and having an existing or potential economic value. No ferrous metals, nonferrous metals, aluminum property, copper property, or catalytic converters (batteries, aluminum beverage containers, used beverage containers, or similar beverage containers are exempt) may be purchased by a secondary metals recycler unless such secondary metals recycler is a holder of a valid permit issued pursuant to Article 14 of Chapter 1 of the Title 10 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated;
(8) A scanned or photocopied copy of a valid personal identification card of the seller and the deliverer, if such person is different from the seller;
(9) A photograph, videotape, or digital recording depicting a recognizable facial image of the seller and the deliverer, if such person is different from the seller, employing technology allowing the image to be retained in electronic storage and in a transferable format;
(10) The distinctive number from, and type of, the personal identification card of the seller and the deliverer, if such person is different from the seller;
(11) The vehicle license tag number or vehicle identification number (VIN), state of issue, and the type of vehicle, if available, used to deliver the regulated metal property to the secondary metals recycler. For purposes of this paragraph, the term 'type of vehicle' shall mean an automobile, pickup truck, van, or truck; and
(12) A scanned or photocopied copy of the verifiable documentation, reports, licenses, and registrations, required pursuant to O.C.G.A. 10-1-351 and O.C.G.A 10-1-352.
(b) A secondary metals recycler shall maintain or cause to be maintained the information required by subsection (a) of this Code Section for not less than two years from the date of the purchase transaction.
(c) When the metal being purchased is a motor vehicle, the seller must either provide the title to such motor vehicle or fully execute a statement on a form as promulgated by the Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division, designated as MV-1SP, in accord
(d) It shall be unlawful to make a false statement in executing the affidavit required by either paragraph (6) or (7) of subsection (a) of this Code Section, and the making of a false statement shall be punishable as an act of false swearing under O.C.G.A 16-10-71.ance with O.C.G.A. 40-3-36. The secondary metals recycler shall forward the title or MV-1SP form to the Department of Revenue within 72 hours of receipt of the title or form.